Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers are more than grunt workers

A mother’s role in the life of her children is ingrained in us.
Sure, us gals often bemoan the fact that we feel overworked and unappreciated, but the fathers often have the shorter end of the stick.
Think about it: What is the role of dads in our society? They often are dismissed or unacknowledged as caregivers. They often are the secondary contact for pediatricians, daycares and schools. They have become a punchline in television commercial as bumbling oafs.
The fact is dads play a much more integral role in our children’s lives than we realize. Sure they get the grunt work of taking out the trash, mowing the lawn and any task that involves power tools. But I think we shortchange ourselves by boiling down a father’s contribution when it comes to the development of children.
I was a child who grew up without a steady father figure. It was not as hard luck as it sounds, because I had a relatively happy childhood, got good grades in school and was socially well-adjusted. I never was aware that I was missing something.
But as I see my husband with my son, I realize what a dad brings to the table. My toddler already idolizes his dad, following him around the house and taking in all the things he does and says. My son mimics his dad’s mannerisms, tries to “help” him in whatever task he is performing and babbles and points at things as if they already have a secret club.
I watch in awe as, after 10 minutes of trying in vain to get the little one to eat, my husband tries a forkful and my son will eat off it.
Let’s face it: Dad is different. He is my son’s alpha and omega.
It makes my heart swell with love and pride that I have a man who is not only interested in his child, but also invested in his commitment to the success of our family.
It makes me slightly wistful that I was not able to have that in my own life, but the past cannot be changed, only the present is up for grabs. And knowing that I have a devoted father in my son’s life is all I need … and maybe some chocolate.
Happy Father’s Day, honey.
— Sarah Leach is content editor at The Holland Sentinel. Contact her at (616) 546-4278 or sarah.leach@hollandsentinel.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment