Sunday, September 1, 2013

Graduation day makes me wistful

It’s tough to believe that this day has finally come.
My baby is graduating, and I couldn’t be more proud.
He worked really hard on all of his assignments, and his teachers said he always displayed a natural curiosity and precociousness rarely seen for his age.
I worked with his teachers every chance I got in order to have a good relationship with them. I attended every school open house, bought extra school supplies, brought in items from home to help him through his day.
My husband and I worked through work schedules, doctor’s appointments, travel, holiday weekends and our little one’s success is evident.
It’s weird seeing him move on, though, as he reaches toward bigger and better things. My husband and I wonder where the time went, as our little man starts branching out on his own.
It makes me wish I could go back in time and savor some of those milestones moments just a bit more. I should have scheduled more family outings so we had more memories to cherish.
At the very least, it has motivated me to try to make the most of the remaining time we have before he inevitably leaves the nest. My husband thinks I’m being a bit premature, but I am all too aware of how quickly the sands are falling through the hourglass.
And my son has done a great job meeting my expectations in terms of his educational achievement. I always knew he was capable of great things, but it’s a fine line between being wholly supportive of your child and being a little too pushy, which can jeopardize their interest level.
I’m glad the family’s hard work is paying off and I can’t wait for what this next phase brings. There will be challenges, for sure, but we will work together and come out stronger and wiser on the other side.
That’s right, my guy has graduated from the infant room and now is in the toddler room.
Way to go, Peanut. You’re making your dad and me proud.

— Sarah Leach is managing editor at The Holland Sentinel. Contact her at (616) 546-4278 or sarah.leach@hollandsentinel.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment