Sunday, January 20, 2013

Husbands have a way of pitching te-roo-fic ideas

"Our next dog needs to be an Irish Wolf Hound or a kangaroo."

My husband was watching television and apparently thought it wise to brainstorm with the Ghost of Pets in the Future.

I laughed initially. After all, the Irish Wolf Hound is the largest of the domesticated canines, and is practically a small horse. And kangaroos are, well, marsupials. … And they live in Australia.

He was perfectly serious.

My husband has a lot of ideas: “Let’s start a fish tank.” “Let’s get an Irish Wolf Hound.” “Let’s get a snake.”

After a traumatic summer of losing two pets in a month, I’m not exactly itching to subscribe to the “We Bought a Zoo” mentality. We now are down to one dog and two cats — and even that’s difficult to manage with a precocious 1-year-old.

"What about a Red Kangaroo?” my husband continued. “Oh wait, they can kill you. ... Maybe we can get a wallaby. They're easier to handle.”

As he Googled the care and feeding of mammals Down Under, I tried to come up with a tact that could defuse this line of thinking.

“I’m pretty sure you can’t just drive to Petsmart and get a kangaroo or wallaby,” I said. “I think there are laws against that sort of thing here in the States.”

“I’m sure we could find someone who breeds them here,” he replied.

I was starting to feel the hives creeping up my neck as I realized he thought we were in actual negotiations. I suddenly had visions of a roo boxing my poor toddler.

“That would be pretty dangerous,” I said. “I don’t think kangaroos are considered family-friendly for children and I wouldn’t even begin to know what they eat and how the winter would affect them.”

He seemed satisfied with this answer. I was quite proud of myself for dodging another crazy idea would have ended disastrously. I relished in the feeling that our communication skills are improving and our relationship strengthening as we work together to raise our young son.

And then, a voice from the living room: “I wonder if you can get a kangaroo declawed.”

— Sarah Leach is assistant managing editor at The Holland Sentinel. Contact her at (616) 546-4278 or sarah.leach@hollandsentinel.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment