Sunday, July 15, 2012

Daycare dilemma rears its ugly head again


Daycare.
We love it for convenience. We hate it because it means others are caring for our children. And until society creates a suitable alternative, we’re stuck with it.
To the outsider, the concept is simple: Call up a daycare, take a look around, drop your baby off Monday morning and go about your business.
The depths to which parents have to plan this process, however, rival those of a NASA lunar landing. There’s the research into licensing, the operating hours, the tours, the waiting lists, the geographical considerations, even the choice between secular and faith-based.
The details are dizzying, and making the right choice is crucial for your baby’s well being and your peace of mind.
I have been in the process of enrolling my son in a new daycare in Grand Haven, because the current facility has had serious staffing issues. I won’t rehash the whole rigmarole, but the end result was to keep him in the current daycare for one more week, then a private sitter will watch him while I work for one month, then he will begin attending his new daycare.
Of course, this WAS the plan until I received a call Sunday evening informing me that my current daycare facility was shutting its doors immediately.
Nothing inspires a panic attack like not knowing what to do with your baby when you’re scheduled to work all week.
I was able to call in every favor of every family member and friend to get through this next week, but it got me to thinking: How do other parents handle the juggernaut of daycare? And, once the children are in daycare, how do parents know the kids are receiving quality care?
I expected the sleepless nights, the erratic schedule of eating and sleeping, the spontaneity of joyful and awful moments, the daily plan changes, even the unexpected purchases.
But I never knew daycare would be such a source of anxiety, and that such drama surrounded such facilities. Behind those sweet smiles are real people who are just like you and me — they don’t like their boss or they wish things were run differently.
Blindly trusting in the institution was naïve on my part. But now I’m more the wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment