Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fleeting moments get us through the grind


The day was perfect. The sun was shining, the water was a brilliant shade of blue and the company was near and dear.
As the boat engine revved, the baby’s eyes grew wide with fear and, perhaps, a little excitement?
I visited my family this weekend in Detroit — my first solo trip since the baby was born. My aunts and uncle co-own a boat and it becomes their second home during the summer months. When Holland has a hot, muggy day, I yearn to be back home, floating on the water, sipping an ice cold Coca-Cola.
I gladly introduced baby Ben to the wonderful world of boating, and between his suspicious looks of “Am I OK?” he had a wonderful time. I couldn’t help but melt when I saw him in his little swim trunks falling asleep as the din of the motor and lull of the boat rocked him gently to sleep.
Things haven’t exactly been easy since my husband went out west for work, and I needed this reconnection with family. They all want to hold and cuddle the baby — and even want to change diapers, if you can believe it.
Then the text messages started rolling in: I needed to resend a file for work, the German Shepherd learned how to jump over the kennel fence … and I felt the tug of my responsibilities calling.
I’m glad I could experience that one perfect day and close my eyes and feel the wind in my face. It felt exhilarating to not worry about house chores, work tasks, pets or the baby.
And as I make my way westward, I need to hold onto this wonderful feeling, fleeting as it might be.
Most of us don’t stop to truly live in the moment and appreciate these small but wonderful times. But that truly is what is keeping me going in my new reality of single parenthood for the rest of the summer.
So as I figure out work stuff and go to the hardware store to buy fencing and as I’m taking the baby back to daycare, I will close my eyes and see that beautiful blue water and feel that warm wind in my face.
It was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment