Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The hazy, baby days of summer


It’s been one week since my husband left to work out west.
As he puts in 13-hour shifts somewhere in the backcountry of Minnesota, I am putting in 16-hour days of baby time, school time and work time.
It’s an exhausting thought to know this will be the next three months of my life. And it makes me appreciate all those single mothers out there and the additional stresses they deal with day in and day out.
Keeping up with all the chores is hard enough with two of us, but having a 5-month-old makes it downright impossible. He is starting to take fewer and shorter naps, and he is not yet mobile, so he likes lots of eye contact and doesn’t appreciate when you walk away to take care of something briefly.
But I don’t have the time to sit around feeling sorry for myself. I have a little person who is completely dependant on me. And my biggest priority is to maintain a sense of normalcy for him.
Babies don’t know why moms get sad. They just want to eat, poop and play.
The hardest part is not having that extra set of hands. I have to meticulously plan how to vacuum, do laundry, wash dishes and take out the trash. And forget about yard work. We have family helping us with that, thankfully.
That’s great, because I was trying to figure out if I could get little, baby sound-blocking headphones to take him on the John Deere with me.
Surprising through all of this is that my spirits remain intact. My husband, however, is a wreck. He’s just sick over the fact that he is not here with us, and Skype can assuage him so much.
Maybe it’s because I spent most of the spring processing my feelings of anger and self-pity, while he basked in the warmth of denial. Now he realizes how difficult it is to be away from his wife and baby, and I am getting through each day with a happy face for my son.
After all, what choice do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment